Enlisted? Become an Officer

  • Lt. Johnson

  • Army ROTC offers several different scholarship and non-scholarship opportunities for enlisted personnel if you think you might want to become a second lieutenant during your college career. Whether you’re currently enlisted and serving on active duty or a member of the National Guard or Reserve, there are plenty of options for you.

    Simultaneous Membership Program
    This is a volunteer officer training program to help enlisted members of the National Guard and Reserves obtain a commission as a second lieutenant while still serving with their unit. An SMP ROTC cadet conducts regular drills with his or her unit and also is a member of the ROTC program. Being a member of both the National Guard or Reserves and ROTC has a great set of benefits that any SMP soldier is eligible for.

    Benefits for SMP soldiers:

    • E-5 pay for drill weeks and annual training
    • Non-deployable status while an SMP ROTC cadet
    • Hands-on leadership and management experience with an Army Reserve or National Guard unit 
    • $350-$500 monthly ROTC stipend 
    • $600 per-semester stipend to help cover books and classroom materials just like scholarship ROTC members
    • GI Bill® Chapter 1606
    • Eligible to apply for a Guaranteed Reserve Forces Duty scholarship 
    • Opportunity to serve in active duty, Army Reserve or Army National Guard upon commissioning 
    • Opportunity to qualify for air assault, airborne, and other Army specialty schools
    • State Educational Assistance Program (National Guard)
    • Federal Tuition Assistance  

    Green to Gold:
    This program is designed for active duty soldiers who have demonstrated the talents and leadership skills necessary to become an Army Officer. Green to Gold allows these soldiers the opportunity to leave active duty in order to pursue both a bachelor’s degree and a commission in the Army as a second lieutenant. Green to Gold soldiers can qualify for four-, three- and two-year scholarships with the same benefits as a cadet. Green to Gold soldiers may also qualify to keep their GI Bill® benefits and still receive their current pay and allowances, along with their normal PCS entitlements.

    "GI Bill®” is a registered trademark of the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs (VA).  More information about education benefits offered by VA is available at the official U.S. government website at www.benefits.va.gov/gibill.

    Each Green to Gold soldier will qualify for different entitlements based on their specific choices. An ROTC officer is willing to discuss your future in the Army, your goals and your options with you. 

    If you are interested in this program and other opportunities for enlisted Reserve and National Guard soldiers complete the information request form.