Checking Progress

  •  Checking Progress

    The Financial Aid Office evaluates academic progress after spring term. If the student does not complete 67% of their cumulative coursework, maintain the appropriate cumulative GPA, and/or exceeds the maximum timeframe to complete their degree, the student is considered to be not making progress.

    • If satisfactory academic progress is not met, the student loses Title IV eligibility.
    • Students will receive a letter and a copy of the policy from Pitt-Bradford Financial Aid Office which advises them if they have not achieved Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP) for federal financial aid purposes.
    • Students academically suspended or dismissed are automatically ineligible for further financial aid. Academic suspension appeals go to the Academic Affairs Office.

    *Credits Earned --

     Grade of Incomplete

    Credits for a course in which a student has received a grade of incomplete are considered as not successfully completed. When the incomplete grade becomes a letter grade, a reevaluation of the number of credits earned may be conducted to assess the student’s successful completion of the required number of credits. It is the student's responsibility to inform the Financial Aid Office of such a grade change.

     Course Withdrawal

    Courses dropped before the conclusion of the add/drop period each semester will not count as attempted credits. Credits for a course from which a student has withdrawn are not considered as completed. If, because of course withdrawal a student has not earned the minimum required credits, the student is considered as not having made satisfactory progress. 

     Remedial Courses with Credit

    Aid is granted for a maximum of 30 credits of remedial work and credits earned are counted toward academic progress.  

     Repeated Courses

     All grades and attempted credits will be counted toward academic progress and maximum available timeframe, even if only some of these credits appear on your transcript. Please note: Federal regulation allows for financial aid to pay for one retake of any previously passed course.  

     Challenge/CLEP Credits

    No aid is granted for credits which are earned by a student through a challenge/CLEP exam. However, credits earned in this manner will be included for the purpose of checking academic progress. 

     Consortium Agreement

    Credits earned at another institution under a Consortium Agreement will be used to determine enrollment status for the awarding of federal financial aid. Such courses will be treated in the determination of academic progress as if they were transfer credits (ie. Credits count but GPA does not).

     Transfer Credits

    Transfer credits that are accepted toward a student’s educational program count as both attempted and complete credits. Grades earned at other colleges are not included in the Pitt-Bradford GPA. Only the academic credit is transferred.


     Summer will count as any other payment period or term. Students are not automatically eligible for aid in the summer as a make-up period. Academic progress for summer will be checked at the end of the next academic year, unless a student is on ‘probation’ or ‘academic plan.’

     Special Note to Undergraduate Students

     It normally takes 120 credits to obtain a bachelor’s degree. To graduate in four years, a student must enroll for a minimum of 15 credits per semester. Enrolling for 12 credits (minimum for full-time students) would extend graduation 1 to 1 ½ years. There are some financial aid program limits that would make this last year difficult. For example, PHEAA State Grant has a limit of 8 semesters (part-time is proportionately more). Additionally, Panther Scholarships, Dean's, College in High School and BRIDGES are limited to four (4) years. It should be noted that students who have been reinstated after suspension are limited to a maximum of 13 credits their first semester back so they must plan accordingly.