Temporary Medical Conditions

  • Temporary medical conditions such as broken or sprained bones, infectious diseases, general surgery, non-complicated pregnancy or other common medical conditions are not regarded as disabilities. The degree of functional limitation and duration of the above-mentioned conditions, typically, does not cause enough impairment to qualify an individual as having a disability as defined in the Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990.

    Disability Resources and Services does, however, recognize that temporary medical conditions can be problematic and therefore offers the following suggestions.


    Students and staff who desire designated handicap parking on campus need toobtain a state-issued Person with Disability/Severely Disabled Veteran Parking Placard by application through the commonwealth or the state in which their vehicle is registered. For Pennsylvania residents, the application for can be found at the state Department of Motor Vehicles site. Individuals must meet the state's criteria to receive a temporary or permanent placard for accessible parking.

    Handicapped parking spaces will be assigned to designated parking lots based on availability. The cost of an HP space will be the same as the standard parking permit. Person with Disability/Severely Disabled Veteran Parking Placards will be honored as long as a valid University permit for that lot is also displayed. Contact the Parking Services Office to arrange for handicap parking.


    Our attendance policy is specific to the course in which you are enrolled. Consult with your instructor regarding his/her attendance policy. If your medical condition results in a significant number of absences you might consider resigning from the term. Instructors with specific attendance polices can hold you accountable for absences from class regardless of reason.


    Certain temporary medical conditions may necessitate resignation from an academic term.

    Information on the resignation process can be obtained from the Office of Student Affairs, 220 Frame-Westerberg Commons.

    Writing and Test Taking

    If arm/hand movement is restricted and subsequently affects your ability to write (take notes) and/or to take tests, Disability Resources and Services suggests that you inform your instructor of your temporary impairment, its expected duration and alternative methods for completing examinations. Disability Resources and Services also suggests you ask a fellow classmate for a copy of lecture notes. If writing will be affected for an extended period of time, consider investing in a speech-to-text software program.

    If you have additional questions or specific disability-related needs, contact the Coordinator of DRS at 814-362-7609 or clh71@pitt.edu.