We know that moving to college is exciting. And, in all that excitement, you might just forget to bring something. So, we've put together a few suggestions of what to bring when you move in.
What you can bring:
- Comfy shoes—Everything on our campus is within walking distance, so you're going to want to wear comfortable shoes.
- Good backpack—Since you'll be walking to classes, you will need a good backpack or messenger bag to protect your textbooks and your homework. (Your dog can't eat your homework if it's in your backpack.)
- Alarm clock—You certainly don't want to sleep in and miss class.
- All the comforts of home—Bed sheets, pillows, comforter, quilt or bedspread. An electric fan, iron/ironing board, desk lamp, kitchen/bathroom cleaning supplies, dishes, silverware and other kitchen supplies, wastebasket, laundry supplies and hangars. Soap, shampoo, towels and washcloths. And don't forget your favorite posters and photos of family and friends.
- Stereo—Check with your roommate on all the electronic extras so you don’t unnecessarily crowd your apartment.
- Computer—You don't have to have your own computer on campus. We have several computer labs on campus that you can use. However, if you do bring your own, know that you will find an Internet connection in your apartment. And, if you have a laptop, our campus is nearly 100 percent wireless.
- Car— You don't have to have a car on campus. Everything on our campus is within walking distance. However, a car would be helpful if you'd like to take trips into town (and you don't want to take the bus) or plan longer weekend car trips to Erie or Buffalo or Pittsburgh.
What we will provide:
- Telephone -- Each suite is equipped with a phone.
- Aparment supplies and cleaning -- Your resident assistant, or RA, will provide your apartment with supplies such as garbage bags, toilet paper and light bulbs. Your RA can also provide you with the use of a vacuum cleaner.
- Television cable -- Your apartment living room is equipped with a television cable outlet. Attaching a cable splitter to the line is not permitted, so there is no need to bring more than one television per apartment.
- Microwaves -- Each apartment has a microwave oven.
- Shower curtains -- Don't worry about getting water everywhere. There will be a shower curtain in your bathroom when you arrive.
What not to bring:
- Hot plates
- Space heaters (electric or liquid fueled)
- Pets (except aquarium fish)
- Water beds
- Appliances that are not UL listed or have damaged electrical cords
- Candles or other open flame devices, including incense burners
- Darts or dart boards
- Weapons. However, if you do bring them, (the hunting is great in the surrounding area) they will need to be registered and stored in the Campus Police Station.
- Refrigerators more than 5 cubic feet
And, if you did forget something, don't worry. Our Panther Shop, located in the Frame-Westerberg Commons, has a wide assortment of necessities -- from backpacks and sweatshirts to socks and lanyards.
You can also download this checklist of items to bring.