Glen Charles was a sawmill in what is now the Allegheny National Forest, from 1895 until 1900. It has now completely reverted to forest, but the remains of the lumbering era are still evident in the railroad beds, the high stone foundations, the earthen dam for the mill pond, and stone lined water wells.
Typical of many logging communities, Glen Charles had a post office, at least one boarding house, and probably a livery stable and several saloons. Building on previous fieldwork by the ANF archaeologists, Pitt-Bradford students discovered additional buildings and artifacts.
The Penn-Brad Oil Well Museum in Custer City, PA is helping us identify some of the artifacts, and more information about sawmills can be found at the Pennslvania Lumber Museum Web site.
Jessica Chaplain and other students mapping
stone foundations below the dam.
One of four double-bitted axes from Glen
Charles. An American invention, the
double-bitted axe was not common until after
the Civil War