New Employee Information

Employees can download a copy of the Employee Handbook 

Additional websites that contain relevant info:

Social Security Card 
Under IRS regulations an employee’s name must agree to the name/social security number on his/her Social Security card. This ensures that the Social Security Administration properly credits each employee’s account accurately. The University of Pittsburgh requires that all employees provide their Social Security card as part of the payroll signup process. Employees cannot be added to the payroll system and no paycheck is generated until a valid Social Security card is provided.  Your supervisor will take a photocopy of your Social Security card and attach it to the completed payroll forms.

If you have already provided this for the I-9 form – you have met the requirement and do not need to provide this card a second time. If, however, you did not use your Social Security card for the I-9 form – please be sure to provide the card to your supervisor before starting work.

If you do not have or have lost your card, you will need to provide the University with a signed receipt verifying that you have applied for a new card.  This receipt is obtained by appearing at your local Social Security Administration office and applying for a new or replacement card.

Tax Withholding On Student Wages 
Wages paid to a student employee through the payroll system are subject to the following withholding taxes:

  • Federal Income Tax
  • State Income Tax
  • Local Wage Tax
  • FICA (Social Security and Medicare)

The withholding of federal and state taxes is dependent upon the student’s gross income and how the student completes his/her W-4 form. The number of credit hours a student is enrolled for at the end of the add/drop period determines whether or not FICA tax is withheld.

Student Timesheets 
Federal Work Study student workers must complete a Federal Work Study Time Record sheet and give it to their supervisor by the monthly deadlines. This will ensure you receive payment for hours worked in the next paycheck. Your supervisor will inform you of the deadlines and provide forms for you to complete.

Students that are not working under the Federal Work Study program will complete a department time sheet (available from your supervisor), but will adhere to the same deadlines for completion of the time record sheet.

Student paychecks and direct deposit advices are available from the Enrollment Services Office on payday and for three working days after payday from 9 am to 4:30 pm  Those remaining will be mailed to the address on file.

Direct Deposit of Paycheck 
Faculty, staff & students can have their paycheck electronically deposited into one financial account This can be a checking or savings account. The total amount of the check must be deposited. Contact the Payroll Office at 814-362-0251 or for a direct deposit form.

Home Address 
The address you provide on your payroll forms will be the address to which your W-2 (end of year earnings and tax record) will be mailed. If you are staying in campus housing, you should use your home address on the payroll forms. It is extremely important that you contact the Payroll Office if you change addresses during the year. Failure to notify Payroll of an address change may result in a delay or failure to receive your year-end payroll financial information.