Q: I want to go back to school, how do I get started? 
A: We are here to help. The Admissions Office staff will help determine what courses or programs are right for you and then walk you through the process. The best thing to do is to take the first step and call the office for a personal appointment with one of our counselors. Call 800-872-1787 or locally 814-362-7555. You can also e-mail us at dilks@pitt.edu. Or, you can send an instant message to one of our admissions counselors.

Q: Do I need to have taken the SAT to get in? 
A: We recognize that everyone did not plan to go to college while in high school and may not have taken the SAT. As an adult, you have "life experience" that traditionally aged students do not have. SATs are not required of adult students, but a high school diploma and/or GED is. Let our experienced counselors decide if you are ready for college. You may be pleasantly surprised.

Q: Can someone help me figure out what classes or programs are right for me? 
A: Definitely. In fact there are a couple ways we can help. The Admissions Office can help with most of your questions. But, if it is an issue of figuring out the right career path, we can connect you with the professionals in our Career Services office. There are a number of ways in which they can help determine a good match for your interests and career path.

Q: What is TAA/WIA Funding?
A: TAA stands for Trade Adjustment Assistance. WIA is the Workforce Investment Act. TAA is a federally funded employment program that assists workers whose jobs have been affected by foreign imports. WIA provides federal job training funds for adults and dislocated workers. Pitt-Bradford offers several two-year degree programs that are approved for TAA and WIA funding.

Q: If I need help with a class, what do I do? 
A: There is an office specifically designed to support our students . . . the Academic Coaching & Tutoring Center. The ASC provides free peer tutoring in many subjects and can be the extra support you need to make it through a class or even turn good grades into great ones.

Q: How do I pay for college? 
A: Our Financial Aid Office is the place to start. Our friendly staff will take the time to discuss your needs and help you understand the "bottom line." There are literally millions of dollars available to students. The most important thing you can do is make an appointment with one of our financial aid counselors. They will help you with the necessary forms and review the different types of grants, scholarships and loans available.

Q: What are independent learning / external studies courses? 
A: These classes are offered through the University of Pittsburgh's campus in Pittsburgh, which you take at home and on your own time. Testing takes place locally, and generally you are not required to attend any classes or workshops at the Pittsburgh campus. It's a great way to supplement your schedule of classes, cut down on commuting, or to just get ahead in your studies. These courses are registered and billed the same as traditional courses.

Q: Can I just take a class or two to help me with my job? 
A: Yes. There are a number of courses that are great for improving office related skills . . . especially our computer software courses that cover Microsoft Office software. Contact the Office of Outreach Services, and the staff there can discuss the best route in which to enroll you as a student.

Q: What if the question that I have is not on this list?
A: Contact our office at (814) 362-7555 or (800) 872-1787 or submit your question via e-mail to  dilks@pitt.edu. Or, you can send us an instant message.