Benefits - New students

Apply to receive your VA Education Benefits

CHAPTER 30 (MGIB), 33 (post 9/11), 1606 (MGIB-SR), and 1607 (REAP)

  • Complete the VA Form 22-1990R Application for Education Benefits. You can apply for your education benefits using If you don't have an eBenefits account, register today. In eBenefits, apply using the Veterans Online Application (VONAPP) to complete and submit your application online.
  • You can also submit a paper application. To do this, download and complete VA Form 22-1990 "Application for VA Education Benefits" and mail it to a VA Regional Processing Office. You can mail the form to the region of your home address or to the VA Regional Processing Office for the region of your school's physical address if you know what school you want to attend. Paper applications can take 8 to 12 weeks to process, and subsequent paperwork usually takes an additional 6 to 8 weeks.
  • Also, you can call a VA Education Case Manager (1-888-GIBill1) to ask for help.
  • For more information on how to apply online visit Education Apply for Benefits.
  • It is recommended applications be filled out online but also printed and delivered to Bob Dilks, director of transfer & nontraditional student recruitment, located in the Office of Admissions, Hanley Library.
  • Also provide a copy of your DD214 (if discharged) or DD295 (if still enlisted), a Certificate of Eligibility when you have receive one, and a copy of your Kicker contract page to the Office of Financial Aid.  Benefits cannot be certified without this information.

Apply to receive Chapter 31 Vocational Rehabilitation and Employment Benefits:

  • Go to eBenefits.
  • Click on "Apply for Veterans Benefits via VONAPP".
  • Create a VONAPP account or log in using your existing account.
  • Choose Vocational Rehabilitation (Form 28-1900) from the drop down menu and follow the prompts to fill out the form.
  • Servicemembers who have a disability that began or became worse during active duty and who have not yet received a Service-Connected Disability Rating do not need to wait to apply. See VA Form 28-0588 for further instructions.
  • Eligible Servicemembers and Veterans may also apply for educational vocational counseling by filling out VA Form 28-8832 electronically or by hand and submitting it to your nearest VA Regional Office.

    For Servicemembers: Ill or injured Servicemembers who have not yet received an SCD rating do not need to wait to apply. Servicemembers expecting a discharge that is not dishonorable who possess a VA memorandum or Integrated Disability Evaluation System (IDES) rating of 20 percent or more—as well as Servicemembers currently going through a Physical Evaluation Board—may be eligible to receive Vocational Rehabilitation (VocRehab) services.

 Apply to receive VA Education Benefits for Survivors & Dependents:

CHAPTER 33 and 35 

The Dependents' Educational Assistance (DEA) program offers education and training opportunities to eligible dependents of veterans who are permanently and totally disabled due to a service-related condition or of Veterans who died while on active duty or as a result of a service-related condition.

Eligibility: You must be the son, daughter, or spouse of:

  • A veteran who died or is permanently and totally disabled as the result of a service-connected disability. The disability must arise out of active service in the armed forces.
  • A veteran who died from any cause while such permanent and total service-connected disability was in existence.
  • A servicemember missing in action or captured in line of duty by a hostile force.
  • A servicemember forcibly detained or interned in line of duty by a foreign government or power.
  • A servicemember who is hospitalized or receiving outpatient treatment for a service connected permanent and total disability and is likely to be discharged for that disability. This change is effective Dec. 23, 2006.

You may receive up to 45 months of education benefits. Effective Oct. 1, 2013, some DEA beneficiaries may be eligible for up to 81 months of GI Bill® benefits if they use the Survivors and Dependents Educational Assistance program in conjunction with an entitlement from other VA education programs

    Apply online- eBenefits   OR  complete the Dependents' Application for VA Education Benefits and send it to the VA regional office with jurisdiction over the state where you will advance your education and training. If you are a son or daughter, under legal age, a parent or guardian must sign the application.
     Provide a copy of the Certificate or Letter of Eligibility to the Office of Financial Aid.  Benefits will not be certified without it.
    If you have questions about the application process, contact the VA at 1-888-GIBILL1.

Apply to receive Federal Tuition Assistance (FTA) Education Benefits:

FTA -- The Department of Defense (DoD) has directed a uniform TA fiscal policy across the military services. Per-semester hour cap is $250, and the fiscal year ceiling is $4,500. The Army will pay 100 percent of the tuition and authorized fees charged by a school up to the established per-semester hour cap and fiscal year ceiling.

Current Army policy limits TA to 130 semester hours of undergraduate credit or baccalaureate degree, whichever comes first, and 39 semester hours of graduate credit or master's degree, whichever comes first. The 39 semester hour limit applies to all credits taken after completion of a baccalaureate degree.

Authorized fees covered by TA are mandatory fees that are associated with an individual course enrollment. Non-refundable fees and fees that are not linked to individual course enrollments (e.g., application fees, graduation fees) are not covered by TA.

Provide a copy of your Tution Assistance Authorization (TAA) to the Office of Financial Aid each semester you will be receiving FTA.

  1. Apply for FTA at
  2. Eligible AGR soldiers must apply for the Education Assistance Program (EAP).
  3. When you have successfully completed the application, an email will be sent to your military email account. Please forward a copy of that email to  
  4. FTA and EAP cannot exceed tuition and fees. If they do, excess funds must be returned to FTA.
  5. If you have questions about the FTA application process, call 1-717-861-9238.

 Apply to receive  Education Assistance Program (EAP):

EAP -- Together with the Pennsylvania Department of Military and Veterans Affairs, PHEAA administers this tuition assistance program for students who enter into a service commitment with the Pennsylvania National Guard for a period of six years.

To be considered for the Pennsylvania National Guard Education Assistance Program (EAP), you must:  Be a resident (bona fide domiciliary) of Pennsylvania and be enrolled in a degree- or certificate-granting program of study at an approved Pennsylvania institution.

Undergraduate students can expect to receive up to 100% of the tuition at the institution where they are enrolled OR 100% of the tuition charged to a PA resident at a state-owned university if full time (the LESSER of the two). If part time, students can expect to receive 100% of the tuition for a part-time course of study OR two-thirds of the full-time tuition charged to a PA resident at a state-owned university (the LESSER of the two). 

  1. Complete EAP Form 2 at your unit of assignment for each academic year. The deadline for fall and spring terms is June 30. The deadline for summer terms is April 30.
  2. We recommend you make and keep a copy of your EAP Form 2 for future reference.
  3. Notify the Financial Aid Office each semester you expect to receive EAP. (this is important)
  4. Change of school, change of enrollment, or change of address must be submitted on EAP Form 3.
  5. If you have questions about the EAP application process, call 1-717-861-8894 or your readiness NCO.

Note -- PHEAA will inform the Office of Financial Aid of students that are approved for EAP on a roster each semester.  Once our office receives this roster, funds are posted to the Student Accounts.