Would you like to be a physical therapist? To help people move better? Our pre-physical therapy program is an entry-level program that leads to a doctor of physical therapy degree.
You’ll start on our campus. Your first step will be to complete a bachelor’s degree here. You can choose any major. The most common are biology, psychology and sports medicine.
Once you have your bachelor’s degree, you will apply to the University of Pittsburgh’s Doctor of Physical Therapy program in the School of Health and Rehabilitation Sciences.
We have a special arrangement with the University of Pittsburgh that we call a Freshman Guarantee. It means that if you meet certain criteria, you will automatically be accepted into the doctoral program. You won’t have to compete for admission.
What you can do with a degree in Pre-Physical Therapy.
Any bachelor’s degree must include the following courses:
In addition to earning a bachelor's degree and completing the required courses listed above, you will need to:
- Earn a minimum overall grade point average of 3.0 and a 3.0 GPA in the prerequisite courses.
- Score 1000 or better on the Graduate Record Examination (GRE) verbal and quantitative sections (a minimum of 500 on each) and a minimum score of 3.5 on the analytical section.
- Have physical therapy experience in more than one setting.
If you do not meet the minimum requirements for admission, you may be admitted provisionally if you can provide strong supporting evidence of your ability to complete a graduate program.
Pitt Freshman Guarantee:
Physical Therapy Guarantee—School of Health and Rehabilitation Sciences
To take advantage of this guarantee, you will need to:
- When you apply for admission, indicate Pre-Physical Therapy on your application.
- Rank in the top 10 percent of your high school graduating class and achieve a 1350 SAT I (combined Critical Reading and Math) or 30 ACT score.
- Maintain at least a 3.5 GPA in science and overall GPA while enrolled in an undergraduate program at a regional campus.
- Complete all prerequisite coursework required for admission to the DPT program.
- Achieve minimum scores at the 50th percentile on the verbal and quantitative sections and a score of at least 3.5 on the analytical writing section of the Graduate Record Examination (GRE).
- Demonstrate evidence of adequate exposure to the field of physical therapy.
Complete the PT Centralized Application Service process as required.
- For information about the DPT program, go to www.shrs.pitt.edu/dpt.